COUREURS DE BOIS
General Meeting April 2, 2015
Members present – 24
Meeting opened at 7:05 pm by Jim M welcoming all including our guest speaker Wally
Van Dyke of the Algoma Paddlers.
Minutes of the Meeting of January 20, 2015 approved by Angela P and seconded by Gerry R.
- Donna reported all incoming and outgoing funds since our last meeting.
- Motion to accept secretary-treasurer report by Astrid T and seconded by Gerry R.
- George H stated that Ron T wants to clear 8 trails, 2 of which are in Mississagi Park.
- Sign up sheets are available to put your name down for clearing trail-master.
- Fridays are still suggested to do trail clearing.
- Suggestions are needed by members for our clubs imput for Elliot Lake 60th anniversary celebrations. It will be posted on the blog as to the time we are needed.
- There are still signs available for trails but are not to be used on mine property.
- A reminder to keep the emergency phone number on your person when hiking on mine property to get the gate unlocked if an emergency should arise 1- 704- 461- 0466.
- All hike leaders must keep in mind that not all hikers travel at the same speed.
- A reminder that membership dues are to be paid directly to the Soo, and notify Donna when done so she can update the membership list.
- When paddle outings are posted on the blog make sure it says “ NOT a sanctioned event”.
- Jim requests that the new sign up sheets be used for hikes, which will be then passed to Jim M ( for stats) and then given to Donna to send off to the VTA.
- Volunteers are needed to help organize this years Christmas party on December 3, 2015 at the Moose, contact Sheila H if interested.
- Gerry J will be looking after the renewals of hike leaders certificates and also be doing another Hike Leaders course, the date will be announced.
- A motion was made by George H to replace the dining tent we use at Mississagi Park with a new one – all were in agreement.
- Discussion was made for family hikes to be done on Sundays in the afternoon.
- George H suggested that we change the time of winter hikes for the winter months to afternoon due to extreme cold temperatures for morning hikes.
- A motion was made by Phil B and seconded by Joyce E to set up a booth on June 20, 2015 for Spring Forward into Wellness, the cost being $ 50.00. It was suggested that we give away a free $ 25.00 membership.
- Tentative dates for a combined paddle and hike with a pot luck at Snowbirds Clubhouse after are May 23, 2015 and October 3, 2015. This will be for our club and the Algoma Paddlers.
- Jim M had no updates on the Shared Use of Trails Committee.
- Sign up sheets are available for Spruce Budworm Study volunteers from mid-May to late July. All participants will received a kit that includes all you will need.
- Jim M said we must decide if we are going to use the SPOT.
- A sign up sheet is available for a anyone wanting to be involved in Trivia Night at the Curling Club.
Upcoming Events 2015
- Highway cleanup will be April/May and Sept/Oct, dates will be announced.
- VTA Trail Maintenance Week will be May 11 to May 18, sign up sheets are available.
- Our club will be involved with Lumberjack Days at Mississagi Park the long weekend in August; Volunteers will be needed.
- Next hike leaders meeting will be April 14, 2015 at the clubhouse at 2:30 pm.
- The next general meeting will be May 19, 2015 at the clubhouse at 7 pm.
- Sign up sheets are available for trail clearing.
- Our annual Christmas party will be December 3, 2015 at the Moose.
- Many thanks go to our Winterfest volunteers for another successful family snowshoe.
Wally Van Dyke from the Algoma Paddlers gave us a slide presentation of some of their paddling and spoke to us about their activities.
Motion to adjourn meeting at 8:45 by Gerry R and seconded by Astrid T.
Minutes of Meeting prepared by Donna Condon.